1.09.2005

Why?

"Are you hungy?"
"No, why?"

Why...well...that is pretty easy to answer. We know the answer. Someone asks, hey, are you hungry, it basically means "wanna go get some food." So why would we say why?

I am not sure why, I know I ask the why, I just did a moment ago. I believe it is as not to feel rude. Just saying no is great for drugs, but seems rude in conversation. So abrupt...no....and nothing else, seems so empty. So...we ask why to be polite maybe? And also, to get more details. Cause you can't really say, "I'm not really hungry, but what did you have in mind, I am assuming you mean we should go get some food, and maybe you'll suggest something that sounds good and I'll be on board, but I really am not that hungry...so..I dunno.." So therefore the "why" leads into deeper conversation.

But sometimes that why is really neccessary.Lets try an example without the why....

"Are you dead?"
"No"
"Okay, see ya soon."
hmmmm....leaves lots of questions. Now, lets try with the why.

"Are you dead?"
"No, why?"
"Oh, I was just supposed to drop something off, and hadn't seen you around for awhile, so was wondering if you were still alive."
"Okay, come on over."

See....you go from wondering if someone is coming over to kill you, to picking up a ticking package. Why's can help.

Now you might ask, why do I have nothing better to do than write this? The answer is...I do have better things to do, I'm just a procrastinator.

J

No comments: