1.20.2009

Where I was..

I am really not sure how to do this. Where to start but here I go.

Today when Barack Hussein Obama was sworn into office as #44 I was at my desk. I streamed the event on my computer through msnbc.com and I was red-lining drawings (writing changes on the sheets in red pen, think correcting). The project is a control building for a water treatment plant. I did everything in my power to hold in emotions of excitement and tears of joy. I asked on twitter "Where Am i?" because I couldn't believe what was happening.

The things that moved me the most were other people responding to it. Men who served in segregated troops in WWII and those who fought civli rights. Seeing them collapse in tears or unable to express things made me joyful for them. For me I grew seeing race as a difference but also wishing I knew more about african americans. There were very few in Northern Minnesota but New Orleans put me in contact with that history. I learned more about my country through seeing the opposite from which I grew up.

Now I will remember this day forever but its impact is lesser for me. I think my growing up with media feeding me the idea of equality helped. MTV, The Cosby Show, and professional sports helped me see the world. College helped me understand more. I know not the feeling of racism but the fight for equality is far from over.

The big thing for today is that not only do we have a leader how is smart, articulate (can pronounce nuclear), and who is motivated to put his nose to the grindstone. Mr. President I am here to further your vision and our country. I cannot really express the joy and hope I feel but I try. I write this with joy in my heart and bounce in my step. I am scared at how far this economy is going to fall and whatever fallout seems to be on the horizon.

Thank you America.
Thank you Mr. President.

1 comment:

(F)redddy said...

And we no longer have to watch a president laugh like a clucking chicken.