2. Twenty-Aught-Niner begins soon and I am not sure what to do about music in the New Year. It is expensive habit and even buying the mp3s make it still spendy. I need to figure out more about how to preview and stream more the new bands (too bad myspace takes FOREVER to load and never loads right anyways). Ugh I hate myspace I think. Any tips?
3. I am really curious about how people felt about the mix-tape. Leave a comment on the song list posted a few days ago with your reactions please.
4. I am afraid to go on a cruise ship. I am afraid I’ll get thrown over, kidnapped by pirates, or food poisoning. Really I am very afraid to go on one. Weird I know? I spent one night on a ship from Helsinki to Stockholm and nothing happened. Still…
I found these super interesting and thought this is a good slideshow of cool science stuff. The world's smallest snake, a prehistoric ant and microbes that may be 120,000 years old: These are just a few of the species revealed to the world in the last 12 months. Wired
1. “Golden Age” – TV on the Radio from Dear Science,
2. “Seven Stories Underground” – The Gutter Twins from Saturnalia
3. “Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!” – Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds from Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!
4. “Great DJ” – The Ting Tings from We Started Nothing
5. “Magick” – Ryan Adams & the Cardinals from Cardinology
6. “Dying Is Fine” – Ra Ra Riot from The Rhumb Line
7. “Walcott” – Vampire Weekend from Vampire Weekend
8. “Lights Out” – Santogold from Santogold
9. “Chasing Pavements” – Adele from 19
10. “Warwick Avenue” – Duffy from Rockferry
11. “Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?” – She & Him from Volume One
12. “A Few Words In Defense Of Our Country” – Randy Newman from Harps and Angels
13. “Two Silver Trees” – Calexico from Carried to Dust
14. “Skinny Love” – Bon Iver from For Emma, Forever Ago
15. “Acid Tongue” – Jenny Lewis from Acid Tongue
16. “Mississippi” – Bob Dylan from Tell Tale Signs: The Bootleg Series Vol. 8
17. “Bag of Hammers” – Thao and the Get Down Stay Down from We Brave Bee Stings and All
18. “Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us” – Sam Phillips from Don’t Do Anything
19. “Singer Songwriter” – Okkervil River from The Stand Ins
20. “Furr” – Blitzen Trapper from Furr
21. “White Winter Hymnal” – Fleet Foxes from Fleet Foxes
Death if Death
when(instead of stopping to think)you
begin to feel of it,dying
cause dying is
it mildly lively(but
& artificial &
evil & legal)
we thank thee
almighty for dying
(forgive us,o life!the sin of Death
2. Popcorn tin - 3 flavors but never enough cheddar. Can i get a whole tin of cheddar and caramel? I love it either way.
3. NyQuil dreams...the best kind because they don't make any sense and leave you confused beyond all belief.
4. Rascals. Especially with huge fat people on them. Really. Funniest moment is fighting with a woman on one who tries to cut in line because she's "disabled." She is not, just fat. My best argument ever and I won. I am going to hell but I love every moment of it.
PS. How much do you love the QCast video this year? Queen Bee has the best cameo ever.
I can't get enough of this album. I just love it.
2. Blitzen Trapper - Furr
I love the variety on the album and how everysong just feels right.
3. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
4. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!
5. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
This album gets played often (especially over the summer) and always is a good pick me up.
6. Adele - 19
Emotions and honesty
7. TV on the Radio
8. She & Him - Volume One
9. Duffy - Rockferry
10. Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
12. Sam Phillips - Don't Do Anything
13. Santogold - Santogold
14. Thao with The Get Down Stay Downs - We Brave Bee Stings and All
15. Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line
16. Calexico - Carried To Dust
17. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
18. Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs: The Bootleg Series Vol. 8
19. Randy Newman - Harps and Angels
20. Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Cardinology
21. The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
22. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
23. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah: Part One (4th World War)
24. Girl Talk - Feed The Animals
25a. Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
25b. Black Mountain - In The Future
2. Name a movie that you've seen multiple times in a theatre: Chicago and The Lord of the Rings
3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie: George Clooney
4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie: Nicholas Cage
5. Name a movie that you can quote from: Drop Dead Gorgeous
6. Name a movie musical that you know all the lyrics to all the songs: Chicago
7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with: West Side Story
8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see: Dazed and Confused
9. Name a unusual movie that you own: Lost Highway
10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops: Will Smith
11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in?: Nope
12. Ever made out in a movie?: No
13. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven't gotten around to it: Roshomon
14. Ever walked out of a movie?: Yes, Moulin Rouge but the film was bad
15. Name a movie that made you cry: The Diving Bell & The Butterfly
16. Popcorn?: Not anymore
17. How often do you go to the movies?: 3 or 4 times a month
18. What's the last movie you saw in the theater?: Frost/Nixon
19. What is your favorite/preferred genre of movie?: Drama
20. What was the first movie you remember seeing in the theater? The Great Outdoors
2. Hey fat ass in the rascal, GET THE FUCK UP AN WALK! You lazy shit fuck cunt assholes are taking away rascals from people who need them, like disabled soldiers, elderly, and those who have lost limbs, etc. You don’t need lap-band. You need to walk to fat fucking waste of life. Also stop wearing stretch pants fat people. STOP!!!
3. How does one keep up with email at home? I have over 100 emails still to read at home and no idea when I will have time to read them. Any suggestions? Should I even care?
4. Ok sorry-ish for the rants but I had to get that out there. Check out this great comic; http://ping.fm/QwXtT
I hit 30,000 views today. Congrats everyone so here is a Frank Lloyd Wright building for you. A great theater and old home for the Dallas Theater Center before the head over to the new Wyly Theater.
Fuck you cute dog. I know you piss on my carpet. Chew my furniture and shoes. You pee when i walk in the door and eat whatever I leave on the floor. Thank you dog. Just cause you know you're the cutest breed of dog ever doesn't mean i won't fucking love you. You're too happy. You too sheddy. Don't think I don't know what your thinking, "I'll chew on your fucking rug as soon as you leave jackass."
That's right dog. You're cute ass has no affect on me ever.
Stop being so fucking cute. ok?
2. I loved sitting in my car for 90 minutes last night. I left at 5.30 to get to the Mavs game at 7.30. I ended up sitting on the ramp to central expressway over Main/Commerce because of ice. Ugh it sucked ass and I learned that Dallas radio is terrible. WORST NEWS RADIO EVER.
3. Anyone else disturbed by the morning news shows obsessions with Natalie Holloway, Caylee Anthony, Heidi and Spencer, and whatever blonde white girl goes missing this month. Please stop trotting out the douchebag cop form Illinois to allow him to discuss his 4 ex-wives (2 of which are dead).
4. Sex or Internet? Cnet has the answers and it is sad http://ping.fm/Rj6ZH
5. Valkyrie looks like it has severe problems, mainly lack of accents and Tom Cruise looks out of place in it.
2. Best of 2008 list is done and the top 25 albums will be on the right hand side under 2008 albums. making mix cds and digital mix cds tomorrow. I will let you know when its ready but you can go to my last.fm and here the playlist of the top 20/21 tracks.
3. Frost/Nixon was great. So the top films of the year for me so far (until i see something else) are: 1) Frost/Nixon, 2) Milk, 3) The Dark Knight, 4) Slumdog Millionaire, and 5) Doubt
4. I just made meatloaf (my fav) for the 4th time ever. I didn't have egg this time, oops. Hopefully this isn't a dinner fail. I feel like a huge failure everytime something doesn't come out perfectly, which is why I am afraid to cook. If the meal isn't good I feel like I shouldn't bother trying.
1. Anyone else sick of hearing the Goldman and Brown families? I know their loved ones were murdered 13 years ago but stop profiting off of it. Stop saying how this new OJ trial is vindication for the last trail .Guess what> he was found innocent of the criminal charges. I hate OJ but shut up and go away.
2. When did my favorite things become a Christmas song? Can we please stop it because it is not a great Christmas song at all. Also Canon in D by Pachabel is not a Christmas song either. Thank you. Now Stop.
3. I love the Ren & Stimpy's Christmas album. It was one of my favorite shows growing up and I still find the humor ridonkulously funny. Yak Shaving day is a great song and I wish everyone a Merry Chest Wig!
4. I am almost finished with the Best of 2008 list. There are 20 artists and probably 15 or so will make the mix tape. Later in the week I'll put up my honorable mentions, probably 5 of them. I am debating giving reasons for the albums chosen or at least the top tracks that make the mix list. The mix will be on last.fm and hopefully I can share it with a few people.
Also: I have also figured out Josh Groban's secret. Take any song start silently with solo voice and build to loud volume midway through. Add excessive instrumentation and children's choir where applicable. Then finish the last few phrases on your own again. I swear everyone song falls into this arrangement.
2004Adventures in Carols
2005Adventures in Carols
2006Adventures in Carols
2007Adventures in Carols
A Christmas Guitar
A Cool Christmas Vol. 1 (Pottery Barn)
A Cool Christmas Vol. 2 (Pottery Barn)
A Cool Christmas Vol. 3 (Pottery Barn)
A Venetian Christmas
A Winter's Solstice
A Winter's Solstice II
A Winter's Solstice V
A Winter's Solstice VI
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Jingle All The Way
Bette Midler - Cool Yule
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Whatch U want for Christmas
Brenda Lee - Christmas Collection
Brian McKnight - I'll Be Home For Christmas
Brian Setzer - Boogie Woogie Christmas
Brian Setzer Orchestra - Dig That Crazy Christmas
Chipmunks - Christmas With The
Christmas Cocktails Part Three
Christmas Cocktails Part Two
Christmas in New Orleans
Christmas with Chanticleer
Cyndi Lauper - Feels Like Christmas
Dale Warland Singers - Carols for Christmas
David Benoit - Remembering Christmas
Diana Krall - Christmas Songs
Dolly Parton - Home For Christmas
Ella Fitzgerald - Christmas
Faith Hill - Joy To The World
Garth Brooks - Garth Brooks & The Magic Of Christmas
Harry Connick Jr - What A Night
J.S. Bach - Christmas Cantatas
J.S. Bach - Christmas Oratorio
James Galway - In Ducli Jubilo
Jars Of Clay - Christmas Songs
John Denver & The Muppets - A Christmas Together
Josh Groban - Noel
Kristin Chenoweth - A Lovely Way to Spend Christmas
KT Tunstall - Christmas
Liz Story - The Gift
Mannheim Steamroller - Christmas (1984)
Martha Stewart Living - Jazz for the Holidays
McGarrigle Christmas Hour
Oprah Christmas Music
Orpheus Chamber Singers - A Sound of Angels
Radio City Music Hall Presents Songs Of Christmas
Ren and Stimpy - Crock O' Christmas
Sarah McLachlan – Wintersong
Sixpence None The Richer - The Dawn Of Grace
Sufjan Stevens - Songs for Christmas
The Best Christmas Album In The World Ever
The Hotel Cafe Presents Winter Songs
The Nat King Cole Collection
Tony Bennett - A Swingin' Christmas
Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas
money for it too.
2. I am going to Milk tonight and am kind of excited for it.
3. I have no idea what to get people for Christmas. This depresses me
beyond where it should as I feel like I am failing by not finding the
perfect gift. This holiday is too stressful.
4. There are so many good podcasts out there that it is tough to
listen to them all. I have updated my blog roll on the right. Check
the year!!!!! it is very rare that music I own gets nominated in the
major categories at least. I own 2 of the Album of the year nominees
and 3 of record of the year. I also own 2 of the best new artist.
Kathy Griffin was nominated also. Awesome considering this is the
Grammies and the least important 'real' awards show (take that AMAs).
3. There is no number 3.
4. Brian Setzer Christmas = great, Ren & Stimpy Crock o' Christmas =
incredible, McGarrigle Sisters' Christmas = cool, and Twisted
Christmas by Twisted Sister = priceless.
Got any weird or unusual Christmas music (cough, Nessa and Walt)? let me know.
lastly not related to anything. DQYDJ Podcast is sometimes the best
trainwreck on the intertubes and they don't read this so...:) Just
Melanie, I love this podcast so much more every day I hear it.
Phreddy is Awesome!!!
movie. It brought up a discussion we had after it though. What makes a
film contrived? Isn't the nature of the film contrived because you are
forcing a situation to create a story? Aren't novels and short stories
inheirently contrived? Anyone got any clues to this (Melanie)?
2. Making a short list of the albums of 2008 this week. I might even
make a poll on a few to get an opinion from the readers. I don't think
Tracy Chapman or k.d. lang will make the list even though their albums
are good. They are just a bit laid back and relaxed for me.
3. I am working on doing more artisitc photography. I have uploaded
some work to my flickr. If you know me there please comment on the
work if you can. I will try and put more up especially some of my
black and white imagry and the Holga photos.
4. The holidays stress me out. I have a short list of people to shop
for this season and that helps. I have decided not to send cards out
because I don't have any money, sorry podcasters who might have gotten
one. I will send a special email/image card I will make myself though.
Watch for the email with the attachment.
Anyways off I go to listen to the QCast!
are by far the worst drivers and often are the ones cutting me off. I
have yet to be proven wrong on the Audi drivers=asshole theorem.
2. Super Smash Bros. I got this game with a gift card and am not
really enjoying it. I played it for 15 to 30 minutes total. Ugh now
what do I do with it?
3. Magritte was the Google theme today. This makes me happy as I like his work.
4. Henry Waxman takes the cake as the ugliest member of congress. He
is the ugliest man i have ever seen.
Bonus: getting my hair cut today. hopefully it will fix my fugly face
"Grab a piece of paper quickly. Oh, and a pen or pencil too. Don't think about it. Go on. Now, without even looking at your watch or being distracted by anything else that might be going on in your world at this very moment, write down 25 things you are thankful for. Go on. Start writing. 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. Don't stop. All the way to 25! Here I go:"
1. My family - even though I don't see them more than once a year I enjoy talking when i can.
2. GW - you always make things interesting.
3. Never break 300lbs. I stopped gaining at 275 and am glad I have lost as much as I have.
4. Jello sugarfree pudding - really it is good
5. having a career at these times
6. Barack Obama - sometimes inspiration leads us in the right direction
7. my friends in dallas, only 4 of you but always keep my life interesting.
8. mcdonald's french fries - i don't eat them often but they taste good
9. Well written scripted comedies and dramas on tv, thank you for entertaining me.
10. Beer - premade in a bottle delicousness
11. Vodka - makes all the good drinks
12. comedians - men and women who make me laugh
13. Radiohead, the decemberists and the other bands i love because I love listening to it.
14. Bill Maher
15. John Stewart and Stephen Colbert
16. Good Eats behind my condo...yum
17. m&m's - becuase when you want them they are there and the always taste great
18. not living in New Orleans anymore. I am glad I have a better career here and the future is better.
19. Dallas - it is not as bad as you think and the DFW area is so fun.
20. Spending one summer living in Helsinki and traveling with one of my best friends, Kristin. Could not have asked for a better way to see Europe than that.
21. Cheese cause everything is better with it and life with out it would be bad
22. Internet friends because it is better than having no personal friends at all.
23. Dark chocolate
24. Stacy, Jason, Kim, Jenn, Meghan, and Ricky.
25. Digital camera becuase it allows me to try and be a photographer with out being able to buy a DSLR. I can capture my world and I should post some art to flickr that i have made.
how the value works or how spending money on something that is not a
sure bet works. I understand gambling/stock market and would do that
and the likely hood of a 30 investment would pay off. With my condo I
am not sure 30 years from now, then again I don't feel any house I
don't design myself would be worth my effort for putting 30 years
into. What is the real incentive to owning property? Couldn't you save
tons by renting your whole life?
2. The new Lenny Kravitz is not that great but I still wonder what
happened to him. I used to love him but as time has gone on it seems
not so much anymore. I wonder where things went wrong between his
music and me.
3. I wish I owned the new Monty Python box set. I adore that show
and it would awesome to sit and watch the whole thing. My dad got me
to start watching it when I was 8. I think this is the reason my
fragile little wrapped mind is what it is. Right Ricky? Still nothing
is funnier to me than that show, except The Simpsons.
4. I let some podcasts back up for weeks before listening to them.
The reason often stems from if it is too much personal chatting about
everyday things. I prefer to listen to the ones about music (Sound
Opinions, All Songs Considered, Music Heads) and comedy craziness
(Foul Monkeys, PNSexplosion, DQYDJ Podcast, etc) over some other ones.
I am not sure why that it is.
That is my ideas for now.
1. Rob and Sarah at Howmuchdowelove.com are so right on soft pants. Mine are the most comfortable thing on the face of the earth right now. They are a blue with silver and black lines in a plaid pattern complete with T-wolve logo. They are very warm (sometimes too warm).
2. I wish i owned mario kart.
3. I wish i had more people on skype to chat with or even aim/yahoo.
4. The highway system in DFW looks like a penis. The tip just west of Fort Worth and the balls around Dallas. Look on a map.
Bonus: twilight looks dumb. Teenage girls enjoy but the book so is boring byt the 10 pages I read in Borders. Now time to readin' the Watchmen some more.
1. If the auto companies have private jets then don't they have
assests to sell? If they can make more fuel efficient cars for Europe,
China, and Japan why can't they make them here? just saying they way
they do business is the problem.
2. the following bands will not make the year end list as I don't
think they are very good/I can't get into them: Bloc Party, The
Evangelicals, and The Streets.
3. The following 5 bands will make the best of the year (so will
unload them from the ipod to focus on new artists): Blitzen Trapper,
Fleet Foxes, Santogold, Okkervil River, and Jenny Lewis. Consider this
4. I really dig the Girl Talk album but not sure how to use it or
whether is qualifies since it is a remix-ish album. I do recommend you
check it out as you can get it for free online and not illegally but
legal download. I will post a link later in the comments for ya'll if
you want it.
last not a thing but it is finally getting cool here. It makes me happy.
Hello to Nessa, Walt, and Melanie.
1. HDTV is magical. It looks great and most shows look better on it.
2. I want to visit Iceland, in the summer. The first foreign trip (other than an Alaskan Cruise) will be Venice, Italy though.
3. I am writing my other podcast entry of 5 podcast you should listen too.
4. Is Prince really this dumb? Or was he misquoted?
1. The Wrestler - This film looks real good, I'll find trailers later
and post them, maybe.
2. Slumdog Millionaire - I think this is the must see film.
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - this looks very cool but not
sure if it won't be creepy. I need to see this though.
4. Revolutionary Road - DiCaprio + Winslet + Mendes = awesome family
drama, not a super funny happy time but acting masterpiece
Bonus: The Reader - Winslet is everywhere and this looks good
2. Ricky Gervais' stand-up special is not as funny as I thought it would be. I have 35 minutes left to watch though.
3. The Watchmen is a good book, duh. I am just reading it for first time and really enjoying. I think it is the bes graphic novel, EVER.
4. Linksys 2wire ATT router + iMac = single craps out and I get red light and yellow screen. Why do macs have more problems than pcs? anyone got ideas, especially those working at the death star?
I am starting with the non-NPR/radioshow ones.
I then went on Rob's suggestion of his other show How Much Do We Love... I love this podcast because they honestly talk about good things or interesting things (cauliflower is not cool BTW). The relationship between the two friends is very apparent and I like that.
I listed to the Little Fatty Cast a few times and heard about the Foul Monkeys but warning this show is not for the faint of heart. Ricky and friends will talk about ANYTHING. It can be very disturbing but always funny. I have become friends with Ricky since following this show and I will unabashedly admit that I am jealous of this show because it is almost like I created it, sometimes the humor is too close to mine to be just a coincidence.
Lastly something sort of serious, not. Buzz Out Loud . Tom, Molly and Jason put together the funniest tech news podcast. CNet has put together lots of great resources but their podcasts are golden. If you like tech, comedy, sarcasm, and intelligence this is the podcast for you.
Those are the podcast I first started listening to. From them i have discovered all the others except bTalk which I found by searching.
Enjoy and let me know what your first podcasts were, that you listened to. Not your own.
Mit der ich sonst viele Zeit verdorben,
Sie hat so lange nichts von mir vernommen,
Sie mag wohl glauben, ich sei gestorben!
Es ist mir auch gar nichts daran gelegen,
Ob sie mich für gestorben hält,
Ich kann auch gar nichts sagen dagegen,
Denn wirklich bin ich gestorben der Welt.
Ich bin gestorben dem Weltgetümmel,
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet!
Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!
I am lost to the world
with which I used to waste so much time,
It has heard nothing from me for so long
that it may very well believe that I am dead!
It is of no consequence to me
Whether it thinks me dead;
I cannot deny it,
for I really am dead to the world.
I am dead to the world's tumult,
And I rest in a quiet realm!
I live alone in my heaven,
In my love and in my song!
My brain and my hands have trouble communicating. I can hardly ever get the words in my head or the ideas into written form. I try to figure out what I want to say but i am an oral person. I have to say it out loud to figure out if this is what I want to say. I started blogging in hopes that it would help me write but not sure if it has or will.
I spent lots of time on trains in Europe reading and to outline stories during my three months living there. I loved my three months in Finland and hope to go back there again. I want to rephotograph and experience everything again. I am more visual person so for me having photographs sparks memories.
I am trying to figure out how to solve this blockage I have. I am going to try and write everyday like I did before this, four quick thoughts. My goal is those thoughts begin to explore into more thoughts. If I am lucky I can begin to explore the ether that is in my head and help to lead me towards a more focused need for writing that will help me if I decide to go for my doctorate or PhD. I always wanted to be a doctor without the blood.
Any tips for writing form anyone? How to get the mind going and connect hand to brain?
1. Dunkin Donuts coffee at the grocery stores is great. The cinnamon spice is delicoius. I highly recommend it.
2. If you love mac and Cheese I had the BEST EVER IN THE UNIVERSE yesterday. i went to central market and basicly had a foodgasm. it was 3 types of cheese, white wine sauce, TRUFFLE OIL, and bacon amongest many things in it. yummy.
3. I am going to a new rest. tonight for the first time and hoping it is great. The Screendoor has a great menu and for a birthday dinner it looks great. i mean look at it Screendoor
4. last for the morning. I am working on my best of 2008 list and finding difficult. I don't think there was that much great music this year but lots of interesting types. Let me know what some of your best ALBUMS of the year. i don't care for singles jsut albums. (BTW the following will no make the list The Walkmen, Juno, Tricky or HEALTH).
I also want to open up to ASK ANYTHING. I will give an answer though you should be warned I don't know what the Answer will be. WINK
Ayways I try to find some sort focus for this. Also stay tuned for a new thing from THE BJORN. it will be awesomish.
For Walt because he hates dogs.